This is a delicious, satisfying, and super simple way to eat your greens. OhSheGlows is one of my favorite vegan blogs and I’ve enjoyed many of her recipes, however I have to confess that I’ve never made this recipe for pesto. I’ve used store bought sun-dried tomato pesto and it’s amazing, but one of these days I will have put forth some effort and make hers since it looks so darn good.
Glowing Green 'Pasta' Primavera
FOR THE PRIMAVERA:
- 2-3 large carrots, peeled and julienned (or just be lazy and buy a bag of shredded carrots from Kroger like I did)
- ½ tablespoon coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 leek, thinly sliced into rounds and rinsed off
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bunch asparagus, ends broken off and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas.
SUN-DRIED TOMATO BASIL-HEMP PESTO:
- 1 small clove garlic
- ¾ cup fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- ¼ cup hulled hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- Scant ¼ teaspoon fine-grain sea salt or pink Himalayan sea salt, or to taste
- With a julienne peeler, peel the carrots into thin, spaghetti-like strands. Cover with a damp tea towel or damp paper towel to avoid it drying out.
- Add oil to a large skillet or wok, and preheat over medium. Add sliced leek and garlic and saute for 3-4 minutes, until soft and translucent. Add a couple pinches of salt and several grounds of pepper.
- Add the asparagus to the skillet and saute for around 8 minutes more, until tender. Increase heat if necessary. Finally, stir in the peas and cook until heated throughout.
- Meanwhile, make the pesto. Add the garlic into a food processor and process until minced. Now add in the basil and sun-dried tomatoes and process again until smooth. Finally, add the rest of the ingredients and process again until combined and smooth.
- Stir all the pesto into the vegetable skillet mixture and cook until heated throughout. Season to taste.
- Serve the vegetable pesto mixture on top of the carrot pasta.
For more delicious recipes, check out OhSheGlows.com