I don’t know how or why brussels sprouts became the most hated vegetable, but I do know that any preconceived negativity you may be feeling is going right out the window once you try these. This recipe from Allrecipes.com is so good I’ve made it for Thanksgiving two years in a row, and it’s always a crowd-pleaser. My six year old proudly declares his love of brussels sprouts each time I make them.
Caramelized Brussels Sprouts with Pistachios
- 4 pounds Brussels sprouts
- ½ cup unsalted butter (I use Smart Balance instead)
- 4 small red onions, cut into strips
- ¼cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup coarsely chopped pistachios
- Place Brussels sprouts in a steamer basket over boiling water. Cover saucepan and steam 8-10 minutes or until Brussels sprouts are tender yet crisp.
- Melt the butter in a deep skillet, add the onions and 3 tablespoons vinegar; cook until onions brown.
- Add the Brussels sprouts, sugar and remaining vinegar. Saute over medium heat until the Brussels sprouts are lightly caramelized.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and garnish with pistachios.
For more delicious recipes, visit Allrecipes.com