You might be feeling a little bewildered that I’ve posted two tofu recipes in a row. Hang in there. I’ve made this recipe from VegWeb.com many, many times and though I do like tofu, honestly this recipe doesn’t even need it. The best part is that sauce, so I tend to double the sauce, omit the tofu, saute a bunch of fresh or frozen veggies, then dump everything on a bed of rice. You could even toss in some chicken. There are some great frozen stir fry vegetable mixes that make this whole meal ridiculously easy, and of course, delicious.
Orange Chicken Style Tofu Stir Fry
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound extra firm tofu, drained and pressed, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons water 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, to taste
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- hot cooked rice, to serve
- Saute tofu in 2 tablespoons oil until browned. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, saute garlic and green onions in remaining 1 tablespoon oil until garlic is golden.
- Add water, orange juice, lemon juice, vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, and pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium.
- In a small cup or dish, mix together cornstarch and water until thoroughly blended. Pour cornstarch mixture into sauce, stirring constantly.
- Cook, stirring, over medium heat until sauce thickens to your liking. Remove from heat and combine with tofu until completely coated. Serve over rice.
- Use more or less cornstarch mixture depending on how thick you like your sauce. You can also add ginger if you like that flavor. Or orange peel or orange juice concentrate for more orange flavor.
For more delicious recipes, visit VegWeb.com