Ohhh pizza. You’re my best frienemy. I love you but hate myself after I eat 4 pieces and spend the rest of the night bloated on the couch. Luckily, cauliflower stepped in and made itself useful by becoming a pretty amazing crust, thanks to this recipe from Detoxinista.com. Sure, it’s not the hand-tossed, carb-loaded crust we all enjoy. But it’s seriously delicious and a fraction of the calories, which means you can eat those 4 pieces without regret.
Cauliflower Pizza Crust
- 4 cups raw cauliflower rice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup soft goat cheese (chevre)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- pinch of salt
Preheat your oven to 400F, then get to work on your crust.
Step 1: Begin by making your cauliflower “rice.”
- Simply pulse batches of raw cauliflower florets in a food processor, until a rice-like texture is achieved.
Step 2: Cook & Strain the rice.
- Fill a large pot with about an inch of water, and bring it to a boil. Add the “rice” and cover; let it cook for about 4-5 minutes. Drain into a fine-mesh strainer.
- Now here comes the secret: Once you’ve strained the rice, transfer it to a clean, thin dishtowel. Wrap up the steamed rice in the dishtowel, twist it up, then SQUEEEEEEEZE all the excess moisture out!
It’s amazing how much liquid will be released, which will leave you with a nice and dry pizza crust.
Step 3: Make & Shape the dough.
- In a large bowl, mix up your strained rice, beaten egg, goat cheese, and spices. Don’t be afraid to use your hands! You want it very well mixed.It won’t be like any pizza dough you’ve ever worked with, but don’t worry– it’ll hold together!
- Press the dough out onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. (It’s important that it’s lined with parchment paper, which is not to be confused with WAX paper– they’re very different!)
- Keep the dough about 1/3″ thick, and make the edges a little higher for a “crust” effect, if you like.
Step 4: Bake!
- Bake for 35-40 minutes at 400F. The crust should be firm, and golden brown when finished.
Step 5: Load on the Toppings!
- Now’s the time to add all your favorites– sauce, cheese, and any other toppings you like.
- Return the pizza to the 400F oven, and bake an additional 5-10 minutes, just until the cheese is hot and bubbly.
- Then slice and serve immediately!
For more delicious recipes, visit Detoxinista.com