Put down the phone and that Chinese takeout menu! In the time it would take to have something delivered, you can make this quick, low-fat, baked version from LaaLoosh.com.
Baked General Tso's Chicken
Container count per serving: 1¼ red, ¼ yellow, 1 teaspoons, 1½ sweetener teaspoons (for maple syrup)
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- ½ cup liquid egg whites
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce (or Bragg’s Liquid Aminos)
- ¼ cup vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp chili sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp 100% pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and mist with non-fat cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour, salt, paprika, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Dip chicken strips in liquid egg substitute, shake off excess and lightly coat in flour. Place chicken strips on baking sheet and lightly mist with an olive oil mister, or more non-fat cooking spray.
- Bake chicken in oven for about 30 min, turning over once at halfway through cooking time. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking, combine soy sauce, vinegar, minced garlic, minced ginger, syrup, chili sauce and sesame oil in a small sauce pan set over medium heat. Once sauce has begun to lightly simmer, mix cornstarch and I tsp water in a small cup, and then pour into sauce. Continue to cook, stirring regularly, until sauce has thickened up a bit, about 3-5 more minutes. If sauce remains runny, add in some additional cornstarch, tsp by tsp.
- Toss the cooked chicken pieces with the sauce and serve immediately.
For more delicious recipes, visit LaaLoosh.com