The 21 Day Fix has taught me the importance of cooking foods in large batches to use throughout the week for different meals, and roasted vegetables has become one of my favorite all-purpose foods. I like to use peppers, zucchini, squash, eggplant, tomatoes… you name it, I’ll throw some seasoning on it and roast it. They taste great with anything, especially pasta, baked chicken, and cheese.
Roasted Vegetable Pasta with Chicken and Mozzarella
Container count per serving: 2 yellow, 1 green, 2 red, 1 blue
- 2 cups of sliced peppers, eggplant, zucchini, and squash, or any other vegetables you wish to use, diced into 1″ pieces
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- half of a yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups whole grain pasta
- Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- Poultry seasoning
- Cajun seasoning
- 2 mozzarella string cheeses, sliced into circles
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 400. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and evenly spread the diced vegetables on the track. Spray the veggies with cooking spray and then season liberally with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Roast the veggies in the oven for 10 – 15 minutes, then flip and cook the other side 10 – 15, or until both sides are golden.
- Season the chicken breasts liberally with Cajun seasoning and poultry seasoning. Bake in the oven 20 minutes, or until juices run clear. Once finished cooking, slice into pieces and set aside.
- While the vegetables and chicken are cooking, prepare the pasta. Then, place the onions in a small pan coated with cooking spray on medium heat. You can caramelize the onions using water instead of oil by adding 2 tbsp of water as they cook, adding more each time the water evaporates. Continue doing this until the onions are caramel in color and very soft. Mix these in with the roasted vegetables once everything is finished cooking.
- Toss the pasta, vegetables, sliced chicken and mozzarella together and serve immediately. Top with a little Balsamic vinegar if you wish.