I’ll bet you never thought you’d see the words “Vegan and Sugar Free Chocolate Cupcakes” preceded by the word “Amazing”, but here it is. This is not false advertising folks. I made these for my 3 year old’s birthday and he ate, scratch that, annihilated two of these, while my chocolate-loving husband just kept muttering “These are goooooood” in between bites. This recipe is adapted from Chloe’s Kitchen by my favorite vegan chef, Chloe Coscarelli.
Vegan and Sugar Free Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Stevia equivalent of 1 cup of sugar (I use NuStevia White Stevia Pure Extract, and 2 tsp is a sweet as 1 cup of sugar)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup cold coffee or water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup vegan semisweet chocolate chips (to make this truly sugar-free, use carob chips)
- 1/4 cup canned coconut milk, mixed well before measuring
- 2 tbsp canola oil
To make the cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together coffee, oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and whisk until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Fill the cupcake liners about two-thirds full with batter. Bake for 16 to 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean with a few crumbs clinging to it. Cool the cupcakes completely before frosting.
To make the ganache
- Melt chocolate chips and coconut milk in a a double boiler or microwave. Whisk in oil until smooth. Spread a thin layer of Ganache on top of each cooled cupcake.
For more delicious recipes, order your copy of Chloe’s Kitchen today.