With the abundance of tomatoes in our garden getting a little out of hand, this recipe from OhSheGlows.com is the perfect way for us to enjoy them. This dish is incredibly flavorful, quick and so easy to put together, and is delicious when mixed with seasoned grilled chicken breast.
Basil Scalloped Tomatoes and Croutons
Container count per serving: 1¼ green, 1½ yellow, 3 tsp, ¾ blue
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 slices Ezekiel bread or french bread, chopped into 1/2-inch croutons
- 2½ pounds tomatoes, diced
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons sugar (I used 2 packets of Stevia instead)
- 1-2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup thinly slivered basil leaves, lightly packed
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bread cubes and mix well with oil so that they are evenly coated. Cook bread, stirring frequently, until crisp on all sides for about 5 mins.
- While the bread is toasting, combine tomatoes, garlic, sugar, salt and pepper in a large bowl. When the bread cubes are crisp, add the tomato mixture to the skillet, stirring frequently for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the basil. Pour into a shallow baking dish and top with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 35 minutes until the top is golden. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
For more delicious recipes, visit OhSheGlows.com