So, tomorrow is Halloween. And I’m sure you’re just dying to sneak some of your kids’ treats… that is, if you haven’t already. But I have a proposition for you. What if you made this unbelievably rich, indulgent, deliciously layered dessert from PaleOMG.com that just happens to be healthy. Free from all the processed sugar and other fake junk found in most candy bars, you won’t even have to sneak this treat.
Chocolate Coffee Caramel Bars
For the crust
- 12 dried figs (or dates, if you prefer), stems removed
- ½ cup almond butter (I used natural peanut butter and it was amazing)
- ¼ cup Unsweetended Shredded Coconut
- 2 tablespoons Raw Honey
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
For the caramel
- 12-14 medjool dates, pitted and soaked in water for an hour
- 5-6 tablespoons canned coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
For the topping
- 1 cup Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips or dark chocolate, melted
- ¼ cup canned coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons ground coffee
- coarse sea salt, to top
- First make your crust. Add all of your crust ingredients into a food processor and mix until well combined. Add the crust mixture to a bread pan and push down until the mixture is flat. Like a crust. Duh.
- Now add your dates and pulse until dates have broken down (less than a minute) then add your coconut milk tablespoon by tablespoon to the dates while the food processor is still running. Then add your water as well.
- And add your vanilla extract and pinch of salt.
- Process until you get a caramel. BOOM. May take 3-5 minutes, tops.
- Pour caramel over your crust and spread evenly.
- Now you will want to melt your chocolate. You could do this in a double boiler or just the microwave. I chose the latter.
- Melt chocolate and coconut milk together in the microwave. Heating for 30 seconds then mixing well and reheating when necessary.
- Once your chocolate is completely melted, add your ground coffee and mix well.
- Pour melted chocolate over your caramel and spread evenly.
- Add coarse sea salt on top of the chocolate.
- Put in freezer to let chocolate harden. Around 10+ minutes.
For more delicious recipes, visit PaleOMG.com