One our favorite comfort food recipes is my version of The Pioneer Woman’s Noodle Bake. This time, I made this healthy casserole even healthier by switching out the noodles with spaghetti squash. It’s just as hearty and flavorful as the pasta version, but with a fraction of the calories!
Spaghetti Squash Ground Turkey Bake
Container count per serving: 1 1/2 red, 1/4 purple, 1 blue, 1 green (Depending on the size of the squash. A medium squash should produce 4-5 cups of “spaghetti”.)
- 1-1/4 pounds ground turkey
- 1 can 15-ounces Tomato Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1-1/4 cup small curd cottage cheese
- 1 cup 2% shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice spaghetti squash in half length-wise, then scoop out seeds. Place on a baking sheet skin-side down and spray inside with cooking spray. Bake for 30 minutes, then let cool completely. Use a fork to scrape the insides and create “spaghetti”. Scrape all the insides into a bowl and set aside.
- Brown ground turkey in a large skillet. Drain fat, then add 1/2 tsp. of the garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Stir in tomato sauce, then simmer while you prepare the other ingredients.
- In a food processor or blender, combine Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese, and remaining 1/2 tsp. of garlic powder and blend til smooth. Add plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Add to spaghetti squash noodles and mix together.
- Bring down the oven temperature to 350. To assemble the casserole, add half of the squash mixture to a baking dish. Top with the meat mixture. Add the rest of the squash mixture and then top with the cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until all cheese is melted.