On cold, dreary days like today, nothing warms me up quite like a creamy, cozy casserole right out of the oven. This paleo version of one of the most well-loved comfort foods is loaded with veggies and is sure to satisfy every member of your family. The filling was inspired by a genius recipe from ThePaleoMom.com, with a crust from HealthyLifestylesMT.com.
Paleo Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
Container count per serving: 2 green, 1 red, 3 tsp, 1.5 blue
INGREDIENTS (cauliflower sauce)
- 1 small head cauliflower (5-6 cups florets)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- cauliflower sauce
- 4 cups chicken pieces, cooked and seasoned with poultry seasoning
- 4 cups frozen mixed vegetables (I used a mix of broccoli, carrots, cauliflower and green beans)
- 1 large or 2 small onions, diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt, to taste
- 2.5 cups almond flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 to 1/4 cup oil (I used coconut, but you could also use avocado or olive oil)
- 2 organic eggs
- Make the cauliflower sauce. Simmer cauliflower and whole clove of garlic in broth in a medium saucepot until cauliflower is soft (about 20 minutes, depending on the size of the florets). Let it cool slighty, then place cauliflower, broth and garlic in a blender or food processor and blend on high for a minute or two until smooth.
- Make the filling. Heat olive oil over medium heat in a deep saute pan, then cook onions until soft. While the onions cook, microwave the frozen vegetables according to the package’s directions, then place in a colander and allow to drain in the sink. Pat dry with a paper towel. Once dry, add chicken, vegetables and cauliflower sauce to onions and mix thoroughly. Once mixed, dump the filling into a casserole dish. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and cook the filling mixture for 20 minutes.
- Make the crust. Mix the dry ingredients together, mix the wet ingredients together, then mix all the ingredients together until it forms a dough. Form the dough into a ball and place between two pieces of wax paper. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough out into a crust the size of the casserole dish.
- Assemble the casserole. After the filling has baked for 20 minutes, take it out of the oven and carefully place the crust on top. Return the casserole to the oven and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
For more delicious recipes, visit ThePaleoMom.com and HealthyLifestylesMT.com.