Chloe Coscarelli is at it again. In her new cookbook Chloe’s Italian Kitchen, she makes Italian food delicious AND healthy. I served this creamy, garlicky alfredo-like sauce over some farfalle pasta for Christmas dinner, and it was a hit among vegans and carnivores alike. For an even healthier take, try it over zucchini noodles.
Vegan Garlic Cream Sauce
Container count per serving: ¾ green, ½ blue, 1 tsp
- ½ cup finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup raw cashews or blanched almonds*
- 2 cups water
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 lb. sliced mushrooms
- freshly ground black pepper
- chopped fresh Italian parsley for garnish
*If you are not using a high-powered blender, such as a Vitamix, soak cashews or almonds overnight or boil for 10 minutes and drain. This will soften them and ensure a silky smooth cream.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and let cook until soft. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Remove from heat
- In a blender or food processor, combine the onion, cashews, water, lemon, juice, and salt. Process on high until very smooth, about 2 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large pot or skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon live oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and cook until soft and slightly browned. If needed, add more oil. Add sun-dried tomatoes and cream sauce and reduce heat to low. Cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add sauce to pasta and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.
For more delicious recipes, purchase Chloe’s Italian Kitchen by Chloe Coscarelli.