It doesn’t have to be St. Patrick’s Day to enjoy this cleaned up version of a traditional Irish favorite. My take on this delicious recipe from OvenLoveBlog.com is dairy-free and guilt-free, but full of flavor. Instead of mashed potatoes, this recipe uses creamy, garlicky mashed cauliflower, which is the perfect way to sneak in some extra veggies while still enjoying a hearty meal.
Shepherd's Pie with Cauliflower Topping
Container count per serving: 1 red, ½ yellow, 1½ green, 3 teaspoons
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or other healthy fat… lard, tallow, ghee, coconut oil, etc)
- 1 cup onion, diced
- ½ cup celery, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup peas
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ¼ cup low sodium beef broth
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning (I used Mrs. Dash)
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tsp Worcestershire
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons fat (lard, tallow, ghee, etc… I used Earth Balance Soy-Free vegan buttery spread
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 2-3 quart casserole dish and set aside.
- In a large pot, steam or boil cauliflower until tender.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil (or other fat) in a large skillet or saucepan over medium high heat. Add the onion, celery, carrots and garlic and cook until beginning to soften, around 5 minutes.
- Add the ground meat to the pan and cook until browned. Add beef broth as necessary to keep the mixture wet. Add tomato paste, peas, parsley, Italian seasoning, Worcestershire, and season with salt and pepper. Let simmer while you prepare the cauliflower topping.
- To make the topping, drain the cooked cauliflower. Add cauliflower, 2 tablespoons of fat, and garlic powder to a food processor and process until very smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble, spread the meat mixture on the bottom of the dish. Top with the cauliflower mixture and smooth with a spoon.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is brown and bubbly. Serve warm.
For more delicious recipes, visit OvenLoveBlog.com