Oh my goodness, folks, believe me when I tell you, this chicken could change your life. I’m not dramatizing, I’m just telling you truthfully that all your fried chicken dreams are about to come true. You’ve been fantasizing about it while halfheartedly nibbling on that bland baked chicken breast, and thanks to this recipe from CarlsBadCravings.com, it can become a reality. A 21 Day Fix approved reality. Tender and juicy with an incredibly flavorful, crispy coating, it’s great by itself or on top of a salad.
Baked Oven Fried Chicken
Container count per serving: 2 red, 1 yellow, 2 tsp
- 10 chicken tenderloins
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup whole wheat panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons organic butter (or vegan buttery spread, I use Earth Balance Soy Free spread)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt (it won’t taste salty)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (may substitute regular)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Pour almond milk and apple cider vinegar in a bowl and mix. Allow mixture to rest for 5-10 minutes, until it thickens.
- Mix salt, pepper, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, and onion powder together in a small sealable bag. Add 1 tablespoon of spice mixture, the milk mixture and chicken to a large freezer bag and marinate 6-24 hours. Store remaining spices.
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Line a large rimmed baking tray with parchment paper (foil will NOT work because the chicken sticks to it). Add butter to baking tray and melt in oven while it preheats. Remove baking tray once butter is melted.
- Mix together flour, panko, cornmeal and remaining spices in a large bowl. Add half of this breading mixture to a large freezer bag.
- Remove chicken tenders from milk mixture and allow excess marinade to drip off.
- Add half of the chicken to the breadcrumb bag and shake until well coated, pressing the breadcrumbs into the chicken with your fingers through the bag. Lay breaded chicken in butter on baking tray. Add remaining breadcrumb mixture to bag along with remaining chicken and repeat.
- Bake at 400F degrees for 10-12 minutes until golden then carefully flip chicken and bake another 5 minutes then broil to desired crispiness.
For more delicious recipes, visit CarlsBadCravings.com