No need for noodles with this low-carb lasagna. Layered with seasoned chicken, cheese, and a garlic cream sauce, it’s a hearty meal that makes the most of summer veggies.
Zucchini and Chicken White Lasagna
Container count per serving: ¾ red, ¾ green, ½ blue, ¼ yellow, ½ tsp
- 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded and seasoned with 1 tsp Italian seasoning (I used Mrs. Dash Italian Medley)
- 2 large zucchinis, sliced into strips with a mandolin
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced into ¼” slices
- 1 egg
- 32 oz ricotta
- ⅓ cup + ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese (divided)
- 1⅔ cup shredded Italian cheese blend (or mozzarella)
- 1½ cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1½ cup low fat milk (I used almond)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp natural butter (I used Earth Balance vegan buttery spread)
- 2 tsp garlic powder (divided)
- 2 tsp + 4 tsp parsley (divided)
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp basil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook the vegetables. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray large baking sheets with cooking spray and lay out the zucchini slices. There should be enough zucchini to cover 4 sheets total. Season the zucchini with sea salt and cook for 15 minutes.
- Spray another baking sheet with cooking spray and lay out the tomato slices. Season with 2 tsp Italian seasoning and 1 tsp basil. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Make the ricotta. In a bowl, combine ricotta, egg, 2 tsp garlic powder, 2 tsp parsley, and ⅓ cup parmesan.
- Make the sauce. In a pot over medium heat, melt butter in olive oil. Add minced garlic then saute until golden brown, about 30 seconds, being very careful not to burn. Sprinkle in flour then whisk and cook for 1 minute. Slowly pour in chicken broth and milk while whisking until mixture is smooth. Season with salt & pepper then switch to a wooden spoon and stir constantly until mixture is thick and bubbly, about 4-5 minutes.
- Take pot off the heat then stir in parmesan cheese, garlic powder, and parsley flakes until smooth. Taste then adjust salt & pepper if necessary.
- Assemble the lasagna. Layer the bottom of a 9×13″ casserole dish with zucchini. Next, layer half of the tomatoes, half of the chicken, half of the ricotta, half of the sauce, and half of the shredded cheese. Put down another layer of zucchini, then the remaining tomatoes, chicken and ricotta. Finish with another layer of zucchini, the remaining sauce and shredded cheese. Top with additional parmesan and a sprinkling of basil, if desired.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Set oven temperature to broil and cook an additional 5 minutes, until cheese becomes golden. Allow 5-10 minutes to cool before serving.