Invite more veggies to Taco Tuesday with this ingenious recipe from SmileSandwich.com. I used the ginormous zucchini from my garden, but it would work well with summer squash as well.
Taco Stuffed Zucchini
Container count per serving: 1¼ green, 1 red, ¼ blue, ¼ purple
- 4 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise
- ½ cup salsa
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning (or homemade mix)
- ½ small onion, chopped fine
- ¼ cup bell pepper, chopped fine
- 4 oz can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- ½ cup reduced fat Mexican blend shredded cheese
- ¼ cup chopped scallions or cilantro, for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Using a spoon, scrape out the seeds of the squash, reserving ¾ cup and storing the rest for later use.
- Place the squash in the boiling water for 1 minute, then place on a paper towel to drain.
- Spoon ¼ cup salsa into the bottom of a large baking dish and arrange squash face up. Set aside.
- Brown turkey in a large skillet until no longer pink. Add seasoning, onion, pepper, ¾ cup reserved chopped squash, tomato sauce and water and stir to combine. Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Fill each squash boat with the turkey mixture, then top with cheese. Cover with foil and bake 35 minutes or until squash is soft and cheese is melted. Garnish and serve with salsa.
For more delicious recipes, visit SmileSandwich.com