My hands-down favorite thing to cook in the crock pot is ribs. There’s nothing better than that tender meat falling right off the bone after spending the day slowly marinating and cooking to perfection. Typically I like them swimming in barbecue sauce, but that’s all changed since I found this recipe from BigBearsWife.com . It features an incredible beefy, savory marinade that you’ll definitely want to drizzle over the ribs before serving.
Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs
Container count per serving: 1 red, 1½ teaspoons
Note: Since the meat has bones, and ribs can be cut in different sizes, it’s hard to say exactly how much meat will be on each rib. When I made it, the recipe produced 4 servings, but be sure to estimate the best you can with your red container when creating your portions.
- 3-4 pounds beef short ribs
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil (or regular oil)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tablespoon onion powder
- 2 cups beef broth
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 Tablespoons honey
- 2-4 sprigs fresh thyme
- Sprinkle the short ribs with salt, pepper and onion powder.
- In large pan over medium-high heat, melt the coconut oil. Once the coconut oil is melted, add the short ribs.
- Cook on for 3-4 minutes or until browned. Flip and cook the other side for 3-4 minutes or brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add garlic to the pan and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Pour into a small bowl and set aside.
- In medium-large bowl mix together the broth, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and honey. Whisk to combine.
- If cooking right away: Add ribs, broth mixture and cooked garlic to the bowl of a slow cooker. Add thyme. Cook on low for 7-9 hours.
- If making this into a freezer meal: Place the short ribs into a large gallon sized freezer bag, add in the broth mixture, cooked garlic and thyme. Place into freezer and freeze. When ready to cook, add everything to a slow cooker and cook on low for 7-9 hours.
For more delicious recipes, visit BigBearsWife.com