Spaghetti squash is smothered in a creamy, spicy tomato sauce and shrimp is this quick and easy recipe from RecipeRunner.com.
Spicy Tomato Garlic Shrimp with Spaghetti Squash
Container count per serving: 1½ green, ½ red, 1 tsp
- 2 spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise (about 6 cups)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound large raw fresh or frozen shrimp, peeled and deveined (approximately 2 cups)
- ½ cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 15 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1-1½ teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes (depending on how spicy you want it)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ cup low sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup plain non fat or 2% Greek yogurt, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and spray it with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle the flesh of the spaghetti squash halves with salt and pepper and place them cut side down on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the squash is tender.
- Let the squash cool slightly before scraping out the flesh with a fork.
- While the squash is cooling heat a 9-10 inch skillet over medium high heat and spray it with cooking spray.
- When the skillet is hot add in the shrimp and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook the shrimp for about 2-3 minutes per side then remove them from the skillet onto a plate.
- Place the skillet back on the burner and add in the olive oil.
When the oil is hot add in the diced onion and cook for about 3 minutes or until it is translucent.
- Add in the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add in the crushed tomatoes, red pepper flakes, salt, basil, oregano, and parsley and stir everything together.
- Simmer the tomato mixture over medium low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken broth then remove the skillet from the heat.
- Add in the Greek yogurt and stir the sauce until it is incorporated and smooth. It is important to add the Greek yogurt off the heat to ensure that it doesn’t curdle in the sauce.
- Add the shrimp back into the sauce and stir to coat them.
- Serve the shrimp and tomato sauce on top of the prepared spaghetti squash.
For more delicious recipes, visit RecipeRunner.com