This hearty casserole from CookingAndBeer.com is loaded with Italian flavors and is a delicious way to feed a crowd.
Baked Orzo with Chicken
Container count per serving: ½ red, ¼ blue, 1½ yellow, 1 tsp
- 2 boneless and skinless chicken breasts, fully-cooked and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup of diced yellow onion
- 2 cups of diced carrots
- 1 cup of diced celery stalks
- 5 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 12 ounces dry orzo pasta (I didn’t have orzo on hand and used pearled barley instead)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- ¼ cup fresh oregano
- 6 ounces mozzarella, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- ⅔ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 roma tomatoes, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and black pepper
- fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots and celery. Cook for about 10 minutes, or until the veggies are just tender. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Add the orzo and tomato paste. Stir to mix well and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat and stir in the chicken, stock, oregano mozzarella, parmesan and a generous amount of salt and black pepper. Mix well and transfer to a large baking dish. Place the sliced tomatoes on top and sprinkle with dry oregano.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the pasta is cooked through. Remove from heat and serve garnished with fresh parsley.
For more delicious recipes, visit CookingAndBeer.com